Before I clean the floors, I always start by vacuuming to get rid of crumbs and dirt. If you have pets or a lot of dust, you may want to follow up with a quick sweep using a microfiber based floor duster. If you follow my cleaning routine, Wednesdays are Vacuuming Day and Thursdays are Floor Washing Day. This post shows how you can split these days up too if you are interested.
The mop that I use the most is a microfiber mop – here are 3 of my favorites. The first one on the left is OXO and can be filled with any cleaner, the middle one is Bona – great for hardwood floors – I use the Free & Simple solution because it is safe and non-toxic, and the last one is Full Circle. I love this one for using with a DIY spray cleaner – it works great for quick touch ups.
UNFINISHED OR BAMBOO FLOORS:
If you are using a microfiber pad, dampen it before starting and rinse often while washing the floors. If you have streaks with a steam mop and rinsing the mop head frequently doesn’t solve the problem, you might need to use distilled water (purchase by the gallon at your local grocery or drug store). If you have hard water the minerals in your water may be contributing to streaking and residue on your floors.
All-Purpose Floor Cleaning Recipe:
- choose either castile soap or Sal Suds (both of the solutions I’m referencing are made by Dr. Bronner’s, but there are other brands of castile soap) – you’ll need 1-2 drops of the soap or cleaning concentrate (adjust as necessary – you want a little bit of bubbles, but you won’t be rinsing it, so you aren’t looking for a ’soapy’ solution).
- 2 cups warm water
- 16 oz. spray bottle (here’s my favorite glass spray bottle)
- 1-2 drops of Sal Suds or castile soap
- 3-5 drops essential oils if you’d like a little scent – some of my favorites are lemon + clove for the castile and pine + lemon for the Sal Suds (it has a pine-y scent already)
- my favorite application is with a spray bottle and microfiber cloth but you can also spray and use a microfiber mop or spray mop or pour the solution into a small bucket and wipe up with a microfiber or cleaning cloth
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1 gallon of warm water
- 2-3 drops essential oils (I love lemon or lemon and clove for my hardwood floors)
I mix this up using the same ratio in my refillable floor mop:
- 3 teaspoons white vinegar
- 16 ounces of warm water
- 1-2 drops essential oils (I love lemon or lemon and clove for my hardwood floors
- white vinegar
- rubbing alcohol
Once you’ve cleaned up your little or big mess, move on to more important things! Did you know that I have a floor cleaning recipe label pack in Clean Mama Home? Check it out here.