When was the last time that you washed your makeup brushes? This super simple task is easy to neglect but it’s a cleaning task that you can do in under five minutes. Add washing your brushes to your beauty routine at least once a month and your brushes will last longer and you’ll eliminate bacteria on your brushes which eventually will end up on your face.
Why wash makeup brushes?
- old makeup builds up on the bristles
- bacteria from the oils on your face build up on the brushes
- if you use use brushes in multiple products like different shades of eye shadow you are cross-contaminating your makeup and shades
What you’ll need:
- castile soap or mild shampoo or hand soap
- warm water from the sink for washing
- hand towel for air drying
Steps to take:
Wet the bristles.
Add a drop of soap to the palm of your hand.
Rub the brush in the palm of your hand, swirling a little bit – you’ll see the makeup in the palm of your hand.
Rinse until the water runs clear – repeat if necessary.
Blot away any extra water on a clean hand towel.
Let dry thoroughly before using – place outside in the sun to speed up the process.
QUICK TIP: Clean your brushes after you apply your makeup for the day because it may take a bit for the brushes to fully dry.