Modern Day Homekeeping : Weekly Cleaning Routine + FREE Printable

Modern Day Homekeeping - Try this simple cleaning routine via Clean Mama

Earlier this week I suggested 4 daily tasks that will make your life easier.  Once you feel like you’ve got those into the rotation, it’s time to add weekly cleaning tasks.  (You can come up with your own cleaning routine, but for starters I’d suggest following mine and making adjustments from there. Hopefully you’ll love it and keep it as-is but you won’t hurt my feelings if you tweak it according to your schedule and week.)

Here’s the thing with a cleaning routine.  Your house will not be immaculate all at once, but it will be pretty clean most of the time.  A cleaning time takes, time, repetition, and someone to actually complete the tasks.

MONDAY | BATHROOMS  – Clean all your bathrooms.  Spray + wipe mirrors, counters, sinks, faucets, toilets, showers and tubs.  Want to see how I speed clean all 4 of my bathrooms in 15 minutes?

TUESDAY | DUST – Start at the top surfaces and dust your way down.  Use a feather duster and microfiber cloth.  I am a huge fan of microfiber and you should be too!  It makes dusting a breeze.

WEDNESDAY | VACUUM – Vacuum all the floors in your home.  Do a thorough job, getting all the corners and crevices.  Here’s the right way to vacuum – vacuuming this way keeps the vacuum in the closet in my house.  Here’s the vacuum I use for all the floors on ‘vacuum day’ and the vacuum I use in-between.

THURSDAY | WASH FLOORS – Wash all the floors in your home.  Wipe the molding if necessary.  I use this recipe on my hardwood floors and this recipe on vinyl and tile.  I also love steam mops and this one has my heart.

FRIDAY | CATCH ALL DAY – Catch up on any tasks you didn’t get a chance to complete or as a day to shop or menu plan.  If you are new to menu planning, you’ll love the shopping and menu planning sheets in The Clean Mama Modern Day Homekeeping Kit!

SATURDAY | SHEETS + TOWELS – Wash all the sheets and towels today.  Put the sheets back on beds and put towels away.  Looking for a great DIY detergent recipe?  This one is still my favorite!

SUNDAY | REST – Do the daily tasks today if necessary and take the day to relax and enjoy your day.

So now that you know the weekly tasks, it’s time to start implementing them.  If you home is in shambles and you don’t know where to start, don’t think you have to get everything in tip-top shape right away.  Break it down into manageable steps.  For instance, on Monday you can try speed cleaning your bathrooms, or alternatively just clean one bathroom really well.  Still too overwhelming?  Set your timer for 10-15 minutes and do what you can in that time frame and do the same thing the next week and the next until you are able to manage your bathrooms all on the same day.  It’s not about perfection!  It’s about ‘everyday a little something’.  Just do that little something every day and you’ll be able to add to it as your house gets whipped into shape.

How about a little freebie to help you get into the routine?  Print, cut if half, put it on your fridge, in your homekeeping binder, on a clipboard, or anywhere you’ll see and use it.  Every day do the tasks and check off the circle – easy, peasy!

The Clean House Cleaning Routine Instructions via Clean Mama

FREE Printable - The Clean House Cleaning Checklist via Clean Mama

Grab the free printable here in my shop or on googledocs!  Want to pin it for later?  Here’s a link!

This post is part of a series – Modern Day Homekeeping – you can see all the posts here.

Subscribe to the blog (just pop your email address in the box on the sidebar) and follow along socially!  I’ll be posting pictures on Instagram using the hashtag #moderndayhomekeeping

The FREE printable in this post coordinates perfectly with my brand new kit!   The Clean Mama Modern Day Homekeeping Kit –  designed to help you (and me!) keep up with your home in the midst of everyday life.  There’s a page with my daily tasks and weekly cleaning routine and a 30 Days to a Clean and Organized Home checklist included.

The Modern Day Homekeeping Kit via Clean Mama Printables

Comments

1. Sharon Castellanos says:

I really wish that there was another way to get this printable besides entering all of my information. Will have to go somewhere else to get one.

• HI Sharon! You can get it via my shop OR googledocs. I am always happy to send via email to anyone that doesn’t want to enter info. I see your email in the comment so I will send it to you now. Happy Friday!

• Sharon Castellanos says:

Got it. Thank you soooo much! That was very kind of you to personally send it to me.

• MINEKA STEVENS says:

Hello can you please send me the email please. Thank you so much in advance.

• I love your checklists, and I am so upset! I recently lost all the documents on my computer, and your weekly cleaning checklist was one of them! Is there a way to re-download or do I have to purchase it again? I don’t think I want to repurchase, but I do really enjoy your checklists!

• No need to purchase again – you should be able to login in Etsy or here (depending on where you purchased) and you’ll see your download link available to re-download. Let me know if you have any questions!
          xo

• I agree, Sharon. I was in my shopping cart, and found I had to enter all my info, and I just exited without the purchase. I don’t understand why anyone would need my street address, if it is a downloadable document. Fine if it comes printed on pad and mailed to my home. But it is an electronic file. Ridiculous.

• Hi Stacy!
        If you notice in the post right next to in the shop is a link to ‘googledocs’ – click on that link and you can grab the free printable without entering any information.

If you set up an account with me you can access your printables any time – that’s why you have to enter the information. I never even look at that info, but I do have products that are shipped to customers so I have to set up the free printables the same way. Thanks for understanding!

2. Jeanine says:

Thanks so much for your printables… love them! I just downloaded the freebie from Google Docs and every day is cleaning the bathroom! It is not the same as the one pictured above… while I love a clean house, I don’t feel the need to clean all my bathrooms each day… 🙂

3. elizabeth says:

Whats catch-all day mean please

4. thank you so much for it !!
    really love your printables and next year i promised myself to get a starter set from you for 2015

5. How many copies can I make from the email? Just noticed my printer is VERY VERY low on ink and I can read any of the words when I just printed it. Thank you.

6. Thanks for the printables and all your good advice. Just wondering, though…when do you incorporate a day to clean your kitchen? Mine is possibly the most heavily used room in the house. We mess it up, clean it up, over and over again. In order to keep it clean and neat I really need a day to just wipe down appliances, clean the backsplash, clean out the microwave, do a quick (or more thorough) fridge inventory and clean-up, etc. How do you manage that without a good part of one day just dedicated to that? Just wondering…. Again, thanks for all you do.

7. Heidi Nelson says:

Hi, I love your free printables and was wondering if you could email me The Clean House Cleaning Routine? Thanks in advance! Heidi

8. Hi, I love this small version of the cleaning routine. However, when I went to print it none of the words printed. I have no idea why this is happening. can you help me.

• You need Adobe Reader to access these printables. Make sure that you have the most updated version – FREE – here:
      get.adobe.com/reader/

If the printables still look weird, make sure you don’t have them in ‘preview’. There’s something with MAC OSX that defaults to preview instead of Adobe Reader.

9. Jessica says:

Hi!
    I don’t have adobe reader b/c we have been having problems with it. Is there another way to get this printable?

10. Hi!
    I ordered a couple of your downloads from your shop and when they arrived to my email and I downloaded them all of the headings are blurred out and unable to be read. I tried downloading through googledocs as well and still will not work. I have the newest adobe reader. I have a Macbook Pro. Any idea what the issue might be??

Thanks!

get.adobe.com/reader/

11. I just found your blog – off a pinterest search for cleaning – and I love it! Going to use some of your printables and just print out some of your tips for my cleaning binder!
    Thanks for all the great info!

12. Hi Becky!

I am struggling with cleaning (I am not a person who likes to clean one bit) But my husband and I are expecting our first child so I really feel like I need to step it up. I love your enthusiasm, thank you!
    I was looking on this page for your vinyl floor cleaner, and the page will not load. Is there a way you can send it to me? Thanks!!

13. Hi, Becky. I clicked on the link to your vinyl floor cleaner recipe and the page doesn’t load.

14. Will you please send me a copy in my email? thanks!

15. Hi Becky! Thank you so much for posting all of these printables! They’re when you’re a new homeowner and have no idea what you’re doing. I was wondering, where did you purchase the actual binder you show all your printables in? It’s so cute and colorful and I like how it has 10 holes. I can only find large, bulky, 3 ring binders at office supply stores. Thank you!

16. Thank you!!! I think I’ve finally found the base for getting my cleaning schedule better organized! I’m a homeschooling mom with 9 children ages 7-19. We have 6 bedrooms (one is used as a “man-cave”) and 3.5 bathrooms. I love the catch-all day idea. Not sure if all our sheets and towels can be washed in one day… 😉 My mind is already whirring – thanks!!

17. Hello I tried to print out the daily cleaning checklist but for some reason the download isn’t working:( Can you please help me maybe by emailing it to me? Thank you 🙂

18. Denise Konopka says:

Just found your website and printed the October calendar and the Monthly Clean Routine printable . . . can wait to start using. Thank you for making this available and for “free”!!

19. I love your site and all your printables, I aspire to be as organized as you are. For this printable did you use card stock to print it out or something? I’ve seen you show it on one of your other blogs where its just standing up in your cleaning caddy and I thought that as such a good idea but my paper is thin and doesn’t seem to hold up well. Thank you so much for everything. With the holidays coming up your site has helped me soo much.

20. Hi is there a way to SAVE the Google docs to Adobe oe so,etching to print at a later date? I can’t seem to get mine to do anything once it opens in Google docs.

Blessings and ty,
    Leslie

21. I really love these printable but how do I get this one? (modern day homekeeping)
    Thanks!!

22. Hi! I just found this printable, among others, on Pintrest. I want to get the latest version of everything for 2015 and I was just wondering how to tell if things are the 2015 version.

Thank you! I can’t wait to get organized!
    Diana

23. Would you consider making something like this fully customizable? I love this idea, but would find it more useful if I could include my farm chores on it and whatever else comes up around here.

24. This seems such a silly question but how do the weekly circles work on your cleaning routine checklist? Is it for those like me just starting out–so that we keep track of how we add in the weeklies after the dailies? Or is it for keeping track of the whole month–week 2 Monday clean bathrooms, week 2 Tuesday, etc. I keep reading the words in the green instructions and I’ve now confused myself

25. Megan Rowland says:

I would love to get your free printables as well, but my computer keeps freezing when I try to access them. Can you send me the the google docs as well?

26. Hello I love your Home Planner specially the checklist chores, can you send it also to my email if its okay!

Bella

27. Hi Becky,
    I’d like to print the “organized cleaning routine” off the free printable page, the page that just has the daily tasks listed on the left side and the M, Tu, Wed, etc tasks listed on the right without the check boxes, but when I click on the link, it takes me back to the home page. Is there another link on the site to the document? thanks!

28. Danielle says:

Hi. I tried to print this out after ordering it from the shop and even tried from googledocs but it’s coming up blurry and just has smudges of black where the writing should be. Why is this?

29. AmateurCleaner says:

Becky, I must thank you personally. I moved in with my now fiancé, a year ago. He’s a neat freak and I didn’t know where to start cleaning. I work fulltime and never was a good home keeper. I found your website when he and I would bicker about the cleanliness of the house. Thanks to you, I’ve managed to do a little each day and our house is so much more organized and clean. You’ve not only helped me learn how to start cleaning, you’ve saved my relationship!!

30. I love, love, love all of your helpful info & tips! Will you please send me a copy to my email? Thank you so very much!😊💐

31. Hi! I love your websites! I just started staying home full time with my 1 1/2 year old son, and cleaning inch isn’t my strong suite by any means! That on top of my adhd = a crazy mess! I was hoping that you could recommend some cleaning lists/charts/whatever for me…I do much better when I can see what i have to do in front of me! Thanks so much!

32. When do you deep-clean the kitchen? I see bathrooms, but not the kitchen. (This is other than the daily minimum upkeep).

Thanks so much for making these printables available. I’m looking forward to reading your book!

33. Where do I get the weekly cleaning list to go with the daily cleaning list?

34. Just click on her google docs link you can just print so easy no info. Sign up she sends great info daily with no purchase necessary. Who doesn’t need a friend when it comes to keeping the house clean.

35. I am so o interested in all of your ideas..can’t wait to get started.

36. How long does it take you to vacuum your house? My house is 2286 sq. ft. I have a living room, hearth room, formal dining room, kitchen, three bedrooms, and two bathrooms and a good sized entryway. It just took me about an hour with breaks to vacuum it. I think you have a good system and you kind of do things they way my very clean mother did. I just got out of good habits over the years with a more than full time job. I just retired ( I still feel like I’m playing hookie from school.) and I’m trying to get into a cleaning routine and i like yours Even though I don’t think Wednesday is going to be my favorite day. Also, I appreciate all the time, effort, and care about others that you have put into your website.

• It takes 30-45 minutes for me to do a very thorough vacuum – sometimes I break it up and do one floor in the morning and another in the afternoon or I’ll vacuum one level and wash it and then the next day do the other level and wash it. Break it up so it works for you!

37. Do I have to get a kit first before downloading and use the free printables?