Simplify the Season: Clean Your Oven

Clean Your Oven With 3 Ingredients You Already Have via Clean Mama

In order to simplify the season ahead, it’s important to do a little preparatory work in advance to keep things running smoothly before the busy begins.   I think that today (or this week) is a great day (week) to clean the oven.  That’s right, I’m going to be all bossy-pants and boss you into the kitchen and tell you to clean your oven.  Why clean the oven now weeks before the actual holiday madness?  Because I tried to self-clean my oven a couple years ago on the day before Thanksgiving and blew a couple fuses and had to have a repair person out to the house and I don’t want that to happen to you.  Thus the clean the oven way before Thanksgiving tradition.

I have a super simple and effective homemade cleaning recipe for you to use too – you’ll love it.  It’s fume-free, uses ingredients you already have, and it WORKS!

Oven Before via Clean Mama

For demonstration purposes (ha, ha) I let my oven get really dirty.

Gather these three ingredients:

Just 3 Ingredients to Make the Oven Paste via Clean Mama

Homemade Paste Oven Cleaner

• ½ cup water
  • enough baking soda to make a paste – about 1/4  to ½ cup
  • 1 tablespoon castile soap or whatever dish soap you have on hand

Mix Up the Paste via Clean Mama

Mix up this paste (it will expand a bit as the baking soda combines with the soap and the water).

Dip Sponge in the Paste and Spread All Over the Oven via Clean Mama

Using a sponge, spread the paste all over your oven to coat.  Let the mixture sit for 15-30 minutes.  Using a clean sponge, wipe clean and rinse thoroughly with warm water.  You’ll want to repeat the rinsing with a sponge and warm water until the oven is completely clean and residue free.

Oven After via Clean Mama

Check out the after – pretty clean, right?

Before and After via Clean Mama

If you are feeling really ambitious you could clean your microwave or wipe down your appliances while the paste is working its magic.

You can find this and 149 more DIY cleaning recipes in my book, The Organically Clean Home!

This post is part of a series designed to help you Simplify the Season.  You can see all the posts here.

Simplify the Season via Clean Mama

Comments

1. Thank you for sharing!! I’m definitely doing this today! My oven sure could use it 🙂

2. TheCleaner says:

I had high hopes for this. I came to this site by a search looking for a different cleaner and thought I’d try this when I saw it, having not cleaned the oven in awhile. What it did clean looks great, but I’m going to have to get out the chemicals to finish up the door and the top of the inside of the oven. Any ideas why it didn’t work or what could make it better?

• I would guess you need to leave the cleaner on a little longer or reapply, especially if your oven hasn’t been cleaned in awhile.

• You might try using a ‘magic eraser’ product with the paste for more abrasion along with leaving the paste on longer. I plan to try this as chemicals are so hard to work with in enclosed places.

• Sami kay says:

what i did with my mothers oven (hasn’t been cleaned in 15 years) I applied the mixture for half an hour to an hour while the oven was on at 100 degree to warm up the surfaces. (i did it in the beginning of my house cleaning routine and wiped it off at the end) It worked really well and i only had to scrape a few really bad spots and the were very easy to get off. If that doesn’t work and your oven is really bad apply thickly everyday for 2 to 4 days for the 30 minutes and it will come off easier and safer than chemicals.

3. Sue Roethke says:

Hi Becky! I ran into your dad today at the post office, and he directed me to your site. It’s wonderful! This is so much fun. As a final wipe for cleaning my oven, I like to wipe it with vinegar, and sometimes rinse it with water afterward. The vinegar cuts the soap and remaining grease, as well. With fond memories……

4. Estefania says:

I needed to know this since I have no clue when it comes to cleaning the house! lol I’m doing it today after work 😀

5. Thanks, Becky. I did this today, after work, and my oven looks great! And I’m so happy that I didn’t have to use harsh, toxic chemicals….

6. Thanks so much for a chemical free cleaner. I have a bird and I do not like the fumes from chemical cleaners.

7. This worked really good for me but please tell me how you keep your kitchenaid stainless so clean. I have used everything and can’t find anything that works.

8. Yes! Doing this tomorrow! Any tips on cleaning the racks? I socked them in the tub before and scrubbed them but they rusted a little and some stuff sight come off.

• Soaked*

• Essjae9 says:

Put the racks in a heavy garbage bag, add 1 Cup of Ammonia and seal the bag tightly. Place out in the sun ( away from where any animals, children, or plants will come in contact with it) all day and overnight. They will wipe clean in the morning!

9. Just a quicky. I bought the same tub of baking soda from £ land years ago & refused to throw it when we moved. Then we bought a house that had grease on the kitchen wall. Hubby was moaning at me about cleaning it & our oven, saying he’d buy chemicals. (But from the UK so for us in luxembourg it’s not easy) I made this up, he was sceptical but it worked! 🙂 I did a post recommending it & your blog. 🙂 nexd step is the oven! 🙂

10. A quick way to clean your microwave is to pull a bowl of water in it on high for 5 minutes. The water will steam it, and you can just wipe it off!

11. I’ve already tried this cleaning recipe and I am amazed that it works so well! My oven has never been so clean and the good thing is that these products are harmless for the environment and for me of course. Thanks for the post! Streatham Carpet Cleaners Ltd.

12. Thanks for sharing this on Instagram this week, I’ve got my oven soaking as I type. Finding your spring clean great inspiration (even if I am a little behind)

13. Thank you Becky!! I was a little skeptical but I hated the thought of the chemical cleaners – but after my hubby made beef jerky in the oven (using the racks only) I had to do something to get my oven back.
    I whipped up the recipe yesterday and I have to tip my hat to you – it’s AMAZING!!!
    I’ve already bagged to my Mother-In-Law about how awesome it is – and easy – and I think she’s tackling her today.

14. This is great!
    What about the ‘self clean’ option on our ovens?????

15. Is this safe for a gas oven? I’ve been told you need to treat them differently.

16. Thought I would give this a try since I am getting ready to sell my oven (getting new stainless one) and wanted the inside to look brand new; WHAT A MESS!! I followed the instructions as written and came up with a gooey mess that took over 20 minutes to clean out. The solution never harden! I let this set for over 40 minutes and when I went to wipe it out the soap you are told to add to the solution just kept getting soapy and was just terrible to clean out. Vinegar and baking soda might have been alright by themselves but I will never try this again with the soap added!

17. Will this work on toaster ovens?? The hubby decided to make bacon in our toaster oven and now you can’t even see through the glass front door! Please help!

18. If you have a self cleaning oven do you do that over night first and then clean with the mix the next day?

19. Jennifer Deis says:

Question – just did this in my oven, and while it worked great for cleaning, a good amount of water went down the seams in the bottom of the oven. There is a seam on either side of the bottom of the oven. I thought the water would pool in the drawer, but it’s not there, and it’s not on the floor. Any idea where it goes? Is this okay?